Brooklyn Nets (22-44)
PG- Deron Williams Marshon Brooks CJ Watson
SG- Joe Johnson Reggie Evans Keith Bogans
SF- Gerald Wallace Tyshawn Taylor
PF- Mirza Teletovic Jerry Stackhouse
C- Brook Lopez Kris Humphries
#1 Need-Front line
*Key Offseason signings-Deron Williams,Gerald Wallace, Brook Lopez, Mirza Teletovic
*The Starting Lineup will command a hefty $66.3 million in 2013.
1) Humphries is deceptively one of the league’s best rebounders and also an underrated defender.
2) If he can be paired with a center that isn’t allergic to rebounds and defense (Brook Lopez syndrome) the Nets will do some damage.
1) The Nets won here-even if Teletovic becomes a mediocre player, $3.3 million per year is a small price to pay for a power forward that can shoot the ball like Mirza.
2) Mirza is primarily a deep threat, but can effectively post up when he has a height advantage. Mirza’s defense is well below average as is his handles and passing ability.
3) With a penetrating guard like Deron Williams on his side, Teletovic will have plenty of chances to hit shots and prove his NBA worth.
Current NBA Comparison- Ryan Anderson
Potential Second Coming- Peja Stojakovic
Brooklyn Nets received Joe Johnson
Atlanta Hawks received Anthony Morrow+Jordan Farmar+Johan Petro+Deshawn Stevenson+Jordan Williams+Lottery Protected 2013 1st round pick+2017 2nd round pick
1) From the Nets perspective this move had to happen to lure Deron and Dwight to Brooklyn. Even though they couldn’t land Dwight there’s still a strong possibility he will sign with them after the 2013 season.
2) Williams will draw enough attention to get Johnson decent looks-which will increase his efficiency. As the primary scorer in Atlanta, Johnson forced too many shots and was constantly in isolation.
Draft # 57
*Tornike Shengelia PF (Georgia)
1) Shengelia is a 6’9” player that attacks the defense at every opportunity.
2) He has a tendency to force the issue in transition costing turnovers, but he doesn’t force too many jumpers.
3) If Shengelia makes the team, the Nets will likely use him as bench insurance for Teletovic .
Brook Lopez Max Deal
1) Maxing out on Lopez will look terrible a few years from now when he continues to prove that he cannot defend or rebound at the NBA level.
2) The Nets current front-line is not what I would call defensive juggernauts and Lopez is the ringleader of the Nets most glaring weakness-interior defense.
3) Superior offensive centers in the NBA are rare gems but Lopez’s deficiencies decreases his value-certainly not worth the 4 year $ 61 million contract.
2013 PREDICTION: 47-35
Charlotte Bobcats (7-59)
PG- Ramon Sessions Bismack Biyombo DeSagana Diop
SG- Ben Gordon BJ Mullens Matt Carroll
SF- Gerald Henderson Reggie Williams
PF- Tyrus Thomas Kemba Walker
C- Brendan Haywood Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
#1 Need- Leadership/Perimeter Defense
* Charlotte needs to unload unproductive players with huge contracts
* BJ Mullens and Brendan Haywood can impact the game on offense and defense respectively, the length of the Cats can cause an uproar in the East in 2013.
Ramon Sessions PG (Lakers)
1) Sessions made a bad but passable decision when he opted out from playing with the Lakers in 2013.
2) If money was an issue his contract with the Bobcats is only worth a grand total of $ 500 k yearly more than his previous contract.
3) Sessions will likely start over Kemba Walker who shot a dismal 36% from the field in 2012.
Charlotte Bobcats received Ben Gordon + 1st round pick
Detroit Pistons received Corey Maggette
1) From Charlotte’s perspective they got the scorer and three point threat they needed and a bonus 1st rounder.
2) For the Pistons this is simply a delayed salary dump-Gordon has close to $ 26 million left on his contract while Maggette’s $11 million expires after 2013.
3) Gordon’s game suffered when he went to D-Town but he is still a lethal shooter, the potential upside of this move was worth the risk.
* Michael Kidd Gilchrist (Kentucky)
1) After all the talk about this kid he appears to be the real deal after one Summer League contest.
2) Line vs SAC: 18pts/8rbs/5assists/4stls
3) I wont be sold after one game but the question is will Gilchrist get the starting nod over Gerald Henderson in 2013?
1) The Bobcats should have use their amnesty clause on Tyrus
2) Thomas will be owed roughly $26 million over the next 3 seasons.
3) His game appears to be heading south, in 2012 he shot 36% from the field, defense which has been his strong suit has also been in a tailspin.
2013 PREDICTION: 32-50
Written By: Kareem Arnold